Sunday, November 9, 2008

beachcomber

I was rather hoping that L and Celina would chime in for my Winnipeg sightseeing list--both of them have perfected the art of being tourists in their own town. Maybe next time. As it turned out, Nicole and her co-worker were limited in what they could do after work. For example, shops at The Forks are only open until 6pm, although from what I gather, the visitors did get to the Christmas Traditions store a few minutes before closing. They also went out to dinner there at The Beachcomber. Apparently someone's resurrected this restaurant/lounge and relocated it to the former Branigan's, because I remember it from waaaayyyy back. Not that I've ever actually dined there: it was just that the #62 bus drove right by it on Carlton, and the Beachcomber sign was distinctive (as was the dim lighting visible). I think a former colleague, Kathy P. from KPMG, told me she'd waitressed there after high school and met her husband in the process. I always secretly wondered if perhaps the name was a tribute to the Beachcombers TV show. Yay, Bruno Gerussi! Anyway, from the sounds of this Winnipeg Sun review, the restaurant's not worth the trip. Neither was Branigan's. Maybe putting in a Salisbury House on the Esplanade Riel wasn't such a bad idea after all. Yay, Burton Cummings! By the by, for anyone interested in comparing the performers' mustaches, click on these links to images of Bruno and Burton.

No comments:

Post a Comment