Saturday, May 9, 2009

450 km to the centre of the universe

A quick bunch of photos of our overnighter to Toronto last weekend for those who don't Facebook. James took Friday off and made a split-second decision to whisk me away for a date to the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM).* It was a 30-minute walk from our downtown hotel through the U of T/Queen's Park area.


Stopping to smell the pansies and gunpowder


T-Rex, meet James. James, T-Rex.


Repose

I would have liked to take Repose home with me. The quartz was so translucent, the gold lit it up from beneath. Exquisite.



Silver miniature tea set at ROM; silver man outside Eaton Centre

What can I say? I'm crazy about miniatures. The credit goes to Sesame Street's "Little Dollhouse." I'm even crazier about silver miniatures. Silver men--not so much. I do, however, admire his chutzpah to make like Silver Elvis. A few years ago, we saw a couple made up in white outside Nucci's or not-Nucci's (can't remember which) on Corydon; we supposed her to be a caryatid, and him to be the male counterpart. Has anyone else seen these types of street performers before? Has anyone performed as a living statue/freeze mime or know someone who has? Check out some photos of living statues at Amanda Palmer & Co.'s site ("When she's not standing still...." What a great tag line!) If anyone harbors a secret desire to perform as such, Palmer offers up "Living Statue 101 or How to Stand Still and Move People."



Parting shots of: (a) an Ontario franchise, and (b) #401. I think I'll stick to #416 and #417, thank you very much.

*I hadn't realized that the ROM plays a role in three of Atwood's novels. I did recall that she wrote the poem, "A Night in the Royal Ontario Museum." Note to self: read Atwood's prose.

2 comments:

  1. We saw a cool living statue/street performer in Mexico - he looked like Michael Jackson, but not 100% sure that's who he was trying to be. He was posed in mid-stride with wires making his tie and back of his suit jacket stick out.

    I liked the summary in your last entry. I had to take a deep breath for you at the end. Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete