Saturday, June 27, 2009

they grow up so fast

My parents helped me plant two tomato plants this year. I'm so excited that they're actually growing (the plants, not my parents, in case that wasn't clear), because I can't really boast a green thumb. I mean, I once killed a cactus. My Big Boy plant on the left--I've named it Eileen--has a bunch of blossoms, and I quickly ran to Canadian Tire last night before closing to purchase a tomato cage to help it with its scoliosis.


Tomato plants, June 12 (left) and June 26 (right)

As I was getting Eileen straightened out, I noticed that the Early Girl plant on the right already has two tiny green tomotoes! I can hardly wait until they ripen. I'm so tired of bland, store-bought tomatoes.

A lot is actually resting on these plants: if they work out for me, I may consider making a tiny plot with a few more vegetables for next year.


Lilacs, June 12 and Dahlias, June 26

I've also been quite pleased with my other plants. Above is the lilac tree that Minto provided last year. The flowers were a pale purple--a pleasant surprise, seeing that we'd been told it was a white lilac. I hope I cut them back properly after they finished blooming. I consulted a few Websites and with a wing & a prayer, the blossoms will return next year. After a shaky start, my dahlias have burst forth in buds.


Marigolds

My three pots of marigolds are happy, happy, happy. And I just cut back my dear pansies in the hope that they might humor me with an encore a few weeks down the road or if the weather takes a turn for the cooler.

2 comments:

  1. Your plants look AMAZING! For early tomatoes we'll just have to fly out to your place again-----ours have lots of blossoms but NO tomatoes. We need sunshine here. Mom D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Whoever said you didn't have a green thumb was mistaken. I'll have to take some lessons from you when I decide to venture into gardening next year in the new house. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete