Thursday, July 9, 2009

First Bite of the Big Apple

More like a few nibbles, really.

OK, so I figured out, or rather James figured out, why one memory stick refused to allow me to download photos from the camera to my computer. Turns out you can lock some of those memory sticks by sliding a wee little tab--analogous to the way you used to be able to lock 3 1/2" floppy disks with the little tab up in the top corner, if anyone remembers those.

I spent the entire afternoon yesterday posting to Facebook and putting captions under most of our New York photos. I've been thinking that it might be time to guess what my Flickr password might have been so that I store photos there and then access them via links here and on FB. (I notice that's what the tech-savvy bloggers do, i.e., Jer & Tan.) Oh, by the way, the credit (and copyright) for the bulk of the photos belongs to James, just so you know.

In the meantime, here goes. I'll start with some pictures of Times Square. We stayed in the Sheraton Manhattan, which was essentially just up the street and around the corner from here. The photo in the first column, second row shows the line-ups at TKTS, which is one of the locations from which people can purchase tickets for musicals and plays. Discounted tickets are available for select performances (generally not the newer shows, say Jersey Boys); a board in the vicinity lists that information.





Times Square was always busy whenever we walked through it. On every corner was a guy trying to sell us (a) tickets to a comedy club or (b) tickets to a double-decker bus sightseeing tour of the city. The majority of pedestrians really disappointed me: I thought this was The City that Never Sleeps, but you wouldn't have known it from the somnambulistic pace. Mind you, people of all ages were out at all hours. Some of the mothers in our group were especially perturbed by the multitudes of babies in strollers still out and about at midnight.

The 39 Steps is playing at the Helen Hayes Theatre. We obtained tickets that, although discounted at 50%, were still on the pricey side. But how often do we see a play? And how often do we see a play in New York? Exactly.


This was the scene as we waited in line to enter the venue.

I now regret not having at least set foot in the Hershey's or M&M stores in Times Square; however, my body thanks me for avoiding handfuls of calories and consequent break-outs. No doubt the trips to Starbucks--there's one on practically every corner--for mochas more than made up for it.

Next time: Friday, July 3 highlights.

1 comment:

  1. I've seen that Hershey's store on TV. That place is pure evil (for the body not the soul). Better to have passed by it.

    ReplyDelete