Wednesday, March 17, 2010

don't kiss me: i'm not Irish

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

'twas a gorgeous day out here, perfect for all the leprechauns to ditch work and part with their pots of gold while acquiring pots of ale.

Ontario primary and secondary school kids are on Spring Break this week: a good time to steer clear of the malls. I didn't take my own advice. The afternoon class I usually work was cancelled today, so I strolled over to the ByWard Market and down Sparks Street via Rideau Centre, noting that at least 90% of the population had donned their greenery for today. All the Irish pubs (and even the non-Irish ones) were overflowing with patrons on patios. Personally, I figured it was a little premature for the flipflops, shorts, and miniskirt/thigh-high boots/white legs sans pantyhose combos; on second thought, remembering last summer...

With so many residents claiming Irish ancestry, it's surprising that St. Paddy's isn't a municipal holiday. They might as well make it one: employees were bailing early this afternoon, and my guess is a number of people will be calling in sick tomorrow.

Who wouldn't want a holiday honoring a man who piped the rats out of Ireland, then celebrated by buying rounds of green Guinness, Starbucks green tea lattes, and shamrock shakes (grimace) for his friends, eh?

In parting, let me share a choice expression from this site: "May the Lord keep you in his hand / and never close his fist too tight."

1 comment:

  1. They don't sell Shamrock shakes here and haven't for about 7 years. A couple radio djs drove to Grand Forks and brought back 100of them. I didn't receive one, but I recall the minty coolness from days gone bye. I didn't have a Guiness or sport any green so I'm thinking a new St. Paddy's day tradition might involve a trip to G.F.- provided the highway remains open...Cheers! CF

    ReplyDelete