Wednesday, October 17, 2007

new 'do

alternative title: “hair today, gone tomorrow” or “i'm so vain”

I’m finding it difficult to squeeze blogging into my schedule, what with all the seemingly endless bus rides to work, work itself, French classes, and the general grocery shopping, meal preparing, house cleaning, laundry, litter scooping, TV watching, and many other quotidian details. (Quotidian is such a great word, isn’t it? I rediscovered it again yesterday, in French class, when we learned the French equivalent: quotidien/quotidienne - depending upon if the word it modifies is masculine or feminine.) If a picture really is worth a thousand words, the following means I’ll have fulfilled my quota for a while.

I've taken a lot of pictures of myself lately - blame it on the built-in PhotoBooth application, and my indecision over what to do with my mop. Here's my hair and how it’s evolved over the last few months.

Apparently, this was August 2, perhaps about 2½ months after my last visit to Maria. That was the Thursday before the long weekend. Feeling the longer layer brush against the back of my neck started to drive me crazy in the heat and humidity.

I’ll admit this cut was not the greatest idea. It got rid of the itchiness, but it was obviously a hasty/cheap job, a rash decision made on the Saturday of the Civic Holiday weekend. I look like I should be wearing wooden shoes and a three-cornered white and blue bonnet.

This was taken October 11, one higher-end cut plus about 6 weeks’ growth later. Hmm, could use a little taming on the ends.

I have a photo which I’m *not* posting: me with hair pulled back off my face to try to figure out my basic facial structure, and consequently, what cuts, if any, will flatter me, according to the hair magazines.

Ta da! After the salon! It’s a miracle. Of course, when/if you see me in person, do not be surprised if I do not look exactly like my photo. I must confess I have not mastered the whole round brush thing. And the latest crisis is that I’ve run out of Scruples O2 foam mousse. I’ll have to phone around to find it. I suppose another mousse would do, but I’m particular about scents, and I liked Scruples because it was light and not overly perfumey and didn’t smell like coconut, watermelon, vanilla, or sunflowers.

Watch for my next hair adventure: I expect it will involve highlights, possibly lowlights, too.

4 comments:

  1. I like your new do. I often wish I could take my hairdresser home with me because I know there is no amount of mousse or hairspray that will give the the same great look. Oh yeah, round brushes, do you have any idea how painful it is to unwind the thing out of your hair because that last twist you made was just a little too tight?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I hear you, Pat. I was thinking I could use a third hand (one for the dryer, one for the brush, one for the unravelling), but having a live-in stylist would be so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the new look. It looks fresh and modern and mature, but in a fun way. good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, L.
    My stylist was a vibrant young woman, and I'm very pleased with the result--even though I can't recreate it in the same way.

    ReplyDelete