Thursday, December 27, 2007

half-baked ideas

Before I forget, I must quickly interject this footnote re: Christmas baking. For some reason, I felt kick-started into a season of flurried activity in yon kitchen. Here’s a synopsis:
  • Dec 18 – baked Company’s Coming Banana Muffins, added walnuts (ran out of all-purpose flour, substituted ½ whole wheat flour, and the experiment actually worked!)
  • Dec 19 – baked Ellen’s* Chocolate Chip Cookies & Oatmeal Thumbprint Cookies
  • Dec 20 – made Foolproof Chocolate Fudge (with chopped pecans) for James’s potluck at work
  • Dec 21 – baked Robin Hood's Chunky Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies (they're OK, not stupendous)
  • Dec 23 – baked Walnut Slice (from the Mennonite Treasury of Recipes)
  • Dec 24 – finished making the New York Delights I started Sunday (messy things – I discovered I much prefer to eat them frozen)
The "best of the fest"? Ellen’s Chocolate Chip cookies and the Walnut Slice.

Thus ends my holiday baking spree—unless I mix up another batch of fudge or succumb to the temptation to make brownies with mocha icing.


*Kornelsen, not DeGeneres

6 comments:

  1. Wow! I can certainly tell that you're on holidays. I haven't seen so many blogs coming out of you in awhile.

    Merry Christmas and may the New Year find you and your family happy and healthy.

    You've done way more holiday baking than I did. I made sugar cookies for Logan's birthday party (so technically that doesn't count). Then I made gingerbread, Terry's favourite. And shortbread, my favourite. I also baked a banana bread somewhere in there, but that's not very festive hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pleasant surprise to see a flurry of ChycLit (favourite blog name EVER, by the way) blog activity. And then to not only see my name in print, but that I (sort of) was one of the baking winners. You've made my day. Happy New Year!
    (oh, unless it's a different Ellen. I didn't think of that.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tawny, I had intended to make shortbread, but one of James's resolutions is to get back in shape, so no shortbread for us. (My banana muffins weren't Christmas-y either, but they were good.)

    L, yes, it's you. I've now added a note to clarify. :) I was scared my batch wouldn't be as good as yours, but I (a) didn't overbake them, and (b) used may amazing air-bake pan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops. That "may" was supposed to be "my." It just burns my cookies when I make typos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Much better! I can't quite imagine the DeGeneres one baking cookies. Although maybe she'd be doing a cool dance while she bakes, which I unfortunately am not coordinated enough to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete