Saturday, May 10, 2008

a dentist, a lawyer, and two 7-year-olds

...walk into a bar. Not really, but it was worth a try.

Friday morning I had a dentist appointment. As I reclined in the chair with rolls of cotton, dental instruments, and a suction tube in my mouth, I came to the realization that in addition to having excellent fine motor movements, dentists really need to have the gift of gab as well--a proclivity for storytelling. In that respect, it certainly helps if they have children that do or say remarkable things. For instance, my dentist's seven-year-old son recently reported that a friend at school had asked him, "What does your dad do?"

Dentist: What did you tell him?
Dentist's son: I told him you're a dentist.
Dentist: What does your friend's dad do?
Dentist's son: He's a liar.
Dentist: He's a liar?!

After some follow-up questioning, the dentist-father discerned that his son's friend's dad is actually a lawyer.

Nothing more right now because I'm exhausted. Two days of attending a conference, and one more to go. Who knew sitting on one's duff for hours on end could be so draining?

2 comments:

  1. hahahaha! I used to tell people my dad was a "lion". Lawyer is just something tots can't relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah, cutey-patoies say the darndest things.

    ReplyDelete