Wednesday, May 28, 2008

on the fence

"Tomorrow" should have been yesterday, but it turned into today because studying French took priority over blogging. And let me tell you, it was not easy to concentrate on the work before me yesterday. I went back to sleep after James left for work, but was rudely awakened around 7:30am by jackhammers.

Some of our backyard neighboring households have hired a company to erect a fence. Generally, one has to wait a year after one moves into a new home before installing a fence, just in case anyone has to come in re: water, hydro, or gas lines; I think it's a by-law. A couple of the crew members were "effing" what should have been ineffable. (One of these days I'll get around to posting my promo on pomo from the postmodernism conference I attended a few weekends ago, and then my choice of words will make more sense; unless you've already read Hutcheon, Kroetsch, Davey, Cooley, et. al, or French philosophers, in which case it probably always already will have made sense).

In fact, I suspect those same two laborers were part of the group waiting with me at Fallowfield Station on Tuesday, when I overheard them discussing how much they f****** disliked digging f****** post holes all day. By the way, I once knew a temporary employee who incorporated the f*** word at least once into every sentence. She also told me she'd lied through her teeth about knowing how to use a dictaphone in a job interview. I met up with her again 10 years later and she'd obtained a computer programming degree: no more f****** dictaphones for her. The point of this reminiscence is...you decide. I've lost interest and I want to get to the chocolate post.

3 comments:

  1. But...where IS the chocolate post???

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I responded to your school question in the comments section on my own blog...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished the chocolate post. My head is screaming for my pillow & my eyes can't focus 'cause it's after 1am, but I couldn't let anyone down yet again!

    Yes, I saw your reply...my cousin Shauna, a faithful if silent (so far) blog lurker here, thought she'd gone to school with you, and it seems she is correct. Sorry, nobody wins any prizes...like, say, an Oh Henry bar.

    ReplyDelete