Friday, July 18, 2008

nos vacances, partie un

Instead of an excursion to New York (purchase of new car took care of that), James & I took a day trip to Montréal with our friends Dave & Ci on June 30. We parked the car near the Metro and took the subway downtown. We walked around, shopped, had lunch, and then made our way to the Infotouriste centre, where we decided to go on Gray Lines' two-hour double-decker bus sightseeing excursion.

James resorts to snapping a photo with his cellphone,
because I have the camera

Meanwhile, across the street,
Ci guards our stuff while waiting in the shade


Robert Burns statue
Square Dorchester, Montréal


In the park or "square" (it looked round to me!) adjacent to the Infotouriste centre is the above statue of Robert Burns. It made me wonder just how many cities in the world boast such statues. I remember taking a picture of one I came across in Milwaukee, WI, back in April 2006. This Bobby Burns, though, was sporting an unusual headdress. I watched in fascinated repulsion as a few people allowed pigeons to perch on their arms as they held out handfuls of birdseed. (I thought of how traumatized Mom or Ellen would be if they were asked to help.)

Our tour took us past many historic buildings...



...and a statue or two...

Illuminated Crowd
(The one at the back looks to me like Gollum from Lord of the Rings.)

...and then more historic buildings. Our photos don't really do the city justice.

L'Oratoire Saint-Joseph du Mont-Royal
(Saint Joseph's Oratory of Mount Royal)


We'd been to St. Joe's in 2002, and it's quite impressive with its Italian Renaissance architecture and stained glass windows. There are 283 steps from the street to the Basilica, with a special flight of 99 wooden stairs specifically for those pilgrims who choose to ascend on their knees. None of our group took our piety to those heights. (Click here for other curious trivia.) Last time we visited, we posed the pig--James's bright pink carnival-game booty from days of yore which rose up the ranks to become the travelling mascot of whatever team/company for which he works. This time, it was a drive-by.

James with Ci & Dave

Since pretty much everybody in Montréal is bilingual, we could no doubt have gotten by with English only. I might even have been able to get by on my painfully halting, bumbling French-in-progress. Fortunately, however, the trilingual Ci has an excellent command of French, and both she and Dave know their way around the city. All in all, it was a great way to kick off a week's vacation.

4 comments:

  1. EWWWWW to the pigeons! Encouraging a bird (and a PIGEON at that) to sit on my arm is something I will never ever do in this lifetime.

    Montreal looks beautiful. Love the buildings. I've only been there briefly but would LOVE to go again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellen, I totally agree with you! Birds are beautiful from a DISTANCE (most of them) but I shriek & freeze when they swoop down on me. Julie, those pictures are beautiful-----Ci & Dave & James look very happy to be there. (Can't wait to see you guys!!) Mom D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, maybe it's ignorance on my part, but does the number 99 have any biblical significance? Doesn't building a shorter flight of slightly more comfortable steps sort of negate the whole point of suffering for Christ?? Not that I would personally choose to climb either set on my knees (I visited in the summer of '99...wow! does that ever bring back a flood of memories of where I was in life at that point!)but there's something rather...I can't think of the word. Help me out here, Julie!

    Fabulous shots of Montreal! Too bad the pig didn't make it in!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. L, I agree: pigeons are one of the scourges of the earth. If you come visit, we'll go to Montreal.

    Can't wait to see you either, Mom. Tomorrow night!

    Siobhan, I've absolutely no idea why they chose 99...

    I find the St. Joe's gift shop bizarre--all these little replicas/effigies of saints for sale. After that time in 2002 when we went inside St. J's, I liked to imagine what would happen if the gift shop ran out: "I'm all out of Peters in aisle two!"

    ReplyDelete