Tuesday, August 28, 2007

out of the mouths of babes


My friendly neighborhood un-spider kids: Oscar, Lina with umbrella, Azar, Ferris

Here’s a shot of my little visitors from last Wednesday. I only thought of taking their picture after I had trundled the cats inside. (Poor kitties really don’t know what to do with all the attention.) Lina and Ferris, of course, are the regulars. Oscar and his younger brother, whose name sounds like Azar, were along for the stroll. Oscar proved to be a highly intelligent young man. He made a particularly shrewd observation, something about the cats being shy because they don’t know them yet. “Did everyone hear what Oscar had to say? Good thinking!” I praised him. “I think a lot,” he replied, and, under his breath added, “Sometimes I think too much.”

Yesterday afternoon, I ignored the doorbell once or twice. I answered it at supper to inform Lina that she should try back tomorrow, try again. “I’ve tried a million times already!” she said, disappointment in her voice. I happen to know she headed over to our place only after she was turned away from Darian's. I heard Darian's father explain it was supper time for them. He went so far as to resort to a line I've used a few times: "OK, you go home now. Bye-bye." Sheesh, I sure hope Lina's parents enroll her in pre-school or play group for fall. She craves social interaction.

3 comments:

  1. I can immediately imagine how uncomfortable Darth would be regarding getting attention, especially from little strangers...I suppose I can sort of imagine Curli-cat being a little confused at so much attention (unless it comes all from you and only you!). :)

    Poor kitties.
    Maybe it's a good lesson for the cats not to venture past the edge of the wooden deck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, Darth has been handling his instant stardom much better than Curli. She refused to come out yesterday, whereas Darth just snuck under the deck when it got to be too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I'm surprised Curli did not want the extra attention. I guess all she wants is attention from you. :)

    Heh, I can see Darth quickly slinking away into a corner/underneath something when the attention upon him became too much from all the sticky little fingers pawing him.

    Any word on when the contractors will install the backyard fence?
    Sounds like you really need that in place for some privacy.

    ReplyDelete