Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Tony's Snowblowing

I don't know what it is today, but I just can't seem to shut up. I was reading Ellen's "Worth It: Life Goes On" blog, and her post mentioned a subtle shift in the air that heralds back-to-s***** season (we won't mention that dreadful word), so I thought the following tidbit was worth sharing.

Intermittently throughout June and July, we received flyers proclaiming "Central Air Conditioning." Usually these would arrive on the days in which the thermometer would shoot above 25˚C. (I pity those who had to deliver them; on the other hand, they probably got the tans I'm envious of now.) So today I arrive home and what to my wondering eyes does appear but a flyer for Tony's Snowblowing. Nothing like getting a jump on the competition. Ah, but wait, there's an early bird special--a free service upgrade "valued at aprox. $150.00 from our competitors" [sic]. And I'm told that last year I "payed for a service that was only provided a few times." Hmmm, methinks Tony could use some help with spelling. "Payed" is indeed a word, I discovered--but it is not the past tense of "pay." Tony's also got a penchant for comma splices that needs to be curbed. For some reason, I find these sentences terribly amusing: "Weather timing is not an exact science, there may be some inconveniences" and "Driveways that have downwards slope greater than 15 degrees towards the house, hinder our capabilities to perform our duties safely without the possibility of sliding into the house with our equipment." Nothing like laying it on the line. You go, Tony! Go blow!

2 comments:

  1. I've been checking out your blog. Can you guess who I am?
    Clue 1: I'm a cousin - well 1/2 a step away.
    Clue 2: Spring Break in the Big City.
    P.S. You crack me up. If I'd known you had such a great sense of humour I'd have spent a lot more time with you growing up.

    Where were you anyway? Where was I? Well most of the time up in a tree pretending to be Tarzan or riding a riding mower pretending it was a horse called Silver and pretending to draw my six-shooters faster than anyone else in the guise of the Lone Ranger.

    Keep blogging. And watch out for the s***. We had 3 inches of rain here in the bottom of Lake Agassiz within 1 hour. Good thing I learned to build rafts in my time spent as Tom Sawyer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, my first comment! I remember you: I've always thought your handle was might clever, LoewenRanger. Where was I? Hmm, I know I pretended to be a cowboy sometimes, but my boy cousins insisted I had to be the squaw princess (so politically incorrect, of course) and tend the fire and cook the kill they brought home--which might explain my long-standing aversion to the kitchen. The rest of the time I played Barbies and drew pictures--sort of tame for you Tom Sawyer types. But I'll have you know my Barbies went to the beach! They did not shop unless they needed new swimsuits. And they obtained their Malibu tans by rescuing people stranded on rafts in Lake Agassiz.

    ReplyDelete