Monday, January 21, 2008

to market, to market, to buy a fat *moose*?

James got a jump on everybody for 2008, resolving to make health & fitness a priority. In conjunction with going to the gym, he's subscribed to a service which includes menu plans and grocery lists. I must grant that it's convenient from my perspective, because I never have to wonder what's for dinner--or supper, as we who hail from hardy Manitoba farming families like to call it. Now if only I could eliminate the guesswork re: who is to prepare it 9/10ths of the time.

James is very adventurous about trying new cuisine, and rarely is there a dish he dislikes. Greyve, meat crackles, currently ranks #1 on his "steer clear" list as far as I can tell. However, given that we do not head to the ByWard Market on a regular basis (and perhaps even if we did), it can be a little difficult to locate flounder and red snapper in seafood aisle of the local grocery chains. Fortunately for us, the menu service allows us to hit a "swap this meal" button if we see something that seems unreasonable. There's also the equivalent of an "I don't want to see this meal again" option. I thought the flounder presented itself as an excellent opportunity to cash in on the swap. Well, whoever designs this particular Web site has cosmopolitan tastes beyond my wildest dreams: along with pork, chicken, & beef to satisfy commonplace palates, one finds antelope, beaver, wild boar, horse, moose, squirrel, and water buffalo--raw or roasted, one's choice. Scratch the wildest dreams. I dreamt of a rabid squirrel last week. I wasn't eating it, but it was gnawing on me. Or maybe it was a just a metaphor I was contemplating for poetic purposes. There's only one way to conclude (you know it): Bon appétit!

5 comments:

  1. From the sounds of things, James feels the same way about meat crackles as I do about eating grasshoppers, crickets, any bugs, and anything oriental! :)

    I cannot imagine how anyone can chow down on a cat (re: the oriental thing)...that's just plain wrong!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The menu planning/grocery list thing is a great idea! I should get Dale to market this to his clients, though our version wouldn't include much meat (except maybe meatballs!)and DEFINITELY no squirrel. Please tell me you're joking about the squirrel and beaver. Is there a website link that has info on this? What's for dinner tonight?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No joke, those options do appear in the list--not that I plan to exercise any such selection any time soon (& most likely never).

    When James & I visit my parents', his habit is to write "squid" on their grocery list, just to be cute. So on Tue, I substituted "squid" for flounder! For the record, we ended up with salmon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Julie! just perused through your blog - LOVE LOVE LOVE the kitty photos!!! and yes, what is the website for meal planning? Sounds neat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The site is Men's Health. I bet Women's Health probably has something similar.

    ReplyDelete