Sunday, December 28, 2008

and the gifts just keep on coming

I know, I know, it's not about the gifts. Still, I really can't resist talking about the presents.

People tend to give the kind of gifts they'd like to receive. I remember my mom reading an article on that years ago, and I've found an interview online that corroborates that position, in which the interviewee remarks (about halfway through):
One of the big, big errors that I see most people make is that they give a gift that they themselves would like to receive, rather than selecting a gift from the perspective of the recipient.
Maybe that explains (some) grandparents' proclivity to present their grandkids with underwear and socks at Christmas. I can remember when it used to disappoint me to receive socks; now I think they rock! Does that alone qualify me as over the hill? Geezerville, here I come. And for those still wanting to idle away holiday time...here's a message board with a spectrum of opinions on the "underwear as gifts" theme.

Yes, socks, undies, and sleepwear were on my wish list this year. And whaddya know, they were at the top of youlookfab's gift suggestions. Let me state for the record that I would never dream of giving such personal items to anyone other than my spouse. Fortunately for me, my hubba-hubba husband finally realizes that my family is on to something with the "select your own gift(s)" idea. Between Reitman's and Sears, I'm now covered. So is James: I bought a fleecy black robe to replace the green terrycloth one he's had ever since his first year in res at university. Since his mother bought it for him, I'm sure it was top-of-the-line. After all, it's held up for 18+ years and it sports a fancy crest that rests above the heart of the wearer (a touch of preppie). Yet I've always thought it screamed "playboy." Off with the old, on with the new. I was tempted to donate it to Goodwill before Christmas so that a hard-up church could use it for a shepherd costume, but I've decided to hang on to it just in case the new one doesn't measure up.

So, as I was starting to say, for the most part, we choose our own gifts. My parents generally give us money (it's easier to transport), and then something smaller (in size and price) for under the tree--so we can have something to unwrap. Perry usually gives us money as well. It's uncanny, though, how the presents James selects generally cost above and beyond any money he receives. For example, if he has $30 to spend, he buys an item that costs $50. So we decided that I must have been feeling pretty generous this year, because my parents and I chipped in to get him a DAC (digital to analog converter - it improves audio on CDs). For Perry's gift to him (I chipped in a bit once again), James bought Upgrading and Repairing Microsoft Windows.

I've had a lot of fun picking out my gifts so far, and I'm not quite done yet! With the money from my parents, I purchased the two pillows for the couch (pictured in a previous post) at Linen Chest for $9.95 each--a great deal, and the best part is they are washable. Got the two blankets (pictured in previous post) on sale at Loblaws. Also have bought: t-shirt, sweater, set of 4 tumblers at Pier 1, 3 pairs of socks (I had already received another 3 pairs), 3 books, shelves (for basement storage), and body wash (Giovanni's "Raspberry Winter" - certified organic, so I hope I like it). Perry's gift consisted of two books and placecard holders from Michael's, which I'm using as photo card holders (they were all sold out of the latter, which were very similar in design).

It's been an extremely relaxing Christmas, since I haven't rushed about buying things for anyone but me. (Wow, that sounds selfish.) I haven't had to worry about the whole office party and gift exchange thing for a few years, and we narrowly escaped a small group function. I wish people would stop insisting on the "bring a $10 gift for the swap game"--especially since nobody I know really needs another snowman candy dish, vanilla tealight candle set, or pooping reindeer. My preference, and you can quote me on this, is that groups of "haves" forego the gift exchange and each contribute $10 towards a project from the Samaritan's Purse Gift Catalog, World Vision Gift Catalogue, or a local soup kitchen, toy drive, or other charity (e.g., Siloam Mission, Christmas Cheer Board). That will be my pre-Christmas challenge for next year.

Until then, I leave you with Pam Leo's article, "The Gift Every Child Really Wants." I especially appreciated her observation that
The people who really love us will still love us no matter what gifts we do or do not give them and whether or not we send greeting cards.
Amen to that!

1 comment:

  1. I'm just catching up here - you've been more regular! - but I had to laugh at the accuracy of the work gift exchange description. We always do one at work, and guess what? There were pooping reindeer, candles, AND snowmen plates!! Inexplicably, the snowmen plates were the most desired and most stolen item this year! ?!?!? The guy who got my $10 Starbucks card GROANED, so I stole it and no one took it from me (I regifted it).

    ReplyDelete