Tuesday, December 30, 2008

bonus points

To point or not to point, that was the question.

Back in November, Shoppers Drug Mart sent a coupon informing me that (a) an acquisition of 1,965 more points by Dec 31 would promote me to Plus member status, and (b) if I were to purchase $150 worth of stuff before year's end, I would receive 15,000 Optimum points--which works out to $25. How warped is this idea "the more you spend, the more you save"? Math has never been my strong suit, but even I can figure out that when all is said and done, these calculations still mean that I'm down $125!

I used to think the Shoppers Optimum program was a devious marketing scheme, a huge, annoying conspiracy designed to hold up the cash lines as gullible members fished through their wallets for those blasted cards. I resisted until the fateful day that found me alone in line; in my weakened, solitary state, I was no match for the persuasive cashier. Only three or four years later, after I'd all but forgotten I was even collecting points, a cashier asked if I wanted to redeem points. Turned out I'd built up $55 worth of savings. Still consumeristic smoke-and-mirrors, but way less annoying.

The aforementioned coupon came close to finding itself recycled at least a dozen times. However, for some inexplicable reason, I couldn't part with it. Yesterday, when I began to tally up the items I needed, I realized they'd add up to approximately $100. Still cautious, I perused the online flyer. What to my wondering eyes should appear, but sale prices on Cetaphil, Coke & Pepsi, t.p., Swiffer refills! (insert cheer) The long and short of it: I caved.

Consequently, I'm part of the Optimum Plus crowd for a year. I doubt this will have much of an impact on life as I know it. Besides cluttering my inbox, I mean. I do think I've frequented Shoppers more here than in Winnipeg, because (a) it's a two-minute hike, (b) it's closer than Loblaws or Wal-Mart, and (c) the prices are comparable to those of the other stores. (I strongly suspected our Shoppers near Pembina & Markham of upping prices to offset the construction costs of its new digs.) Hmm, just to put checks in place on unnecessary spending, I'd better revisit The Story of Stuff and crack open Green for Life.

May your life be optimum regardless of the points you've accumulated.

No comments:

Post a Comment