Tuesday, April 8, 2008

and now for something completely different

I've been inspired by the creative posts of fellow bloggers, be they in the form of fiction, photography, life writing, or what have you. So I'm going to be gutsy and share something that I wrote Sunday evening. I haven't done any such writing for a while, but this imagery has wanted out--it's been percolating for a few weeks, since I passed Bridgehead on my way home from work in the dark one Thursday evening before the time change. I'm not yet familiar enough with html to set the line breaks where I want them, so no criticizing the layout.

**********

window seat

stop. bank & albert. stop.

i see you through
a haze of pane
through twilight
watch twice ten fingers
cup identical cappuccinos
or extra-large lattés
(does it really matter which?)

four eyes and sixteen times as many teeth flash
as you flirt over a cream cheese-iced
slab of carrot cake
alternating laughter and forkfuls
and expressive hand gestures

synchronous artificial respiration touching mouth
to ceramic lip
tongues flicking to the corners
to get every last fleck of foam

on the move again.

i don't have to see what's next
we all know how this will end
you'll lie awake half the night
in your respective flats
hearts racing
feeling moody passion brewing

and i'll immortalize you
in a dark roast
with light & bitter notes

**********

(Yes, I admit my adopted persona, that speaking, observing I/eye is pompous; "immortalize," for goodness' sake! Also, please note that I have not actually patronized Bridgehead, although I did set foot in it over the lunch rush today to verify serving sizes. Silly me, I forgot to fact check if the menu lists cappuccinos and lattés, although most places do, so I imagine Bridgehead would, too, to be competitive, if nothing else.)

4 comments:

  1. Bravo! How lovely! I knew you had the talent and I'm absolutely delighted that you made the move to share it with us. I've been reading from your friends' blogs and I must say Eckart Tolle is taking a backseat this week...they're very addictive (kinda like coffee). Keep it up!

    Celina:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie! I could absolutely picture this scene playing out in my mind as I read it. And I loved how the last stanza summed it all up. And I particularly love the fact the you stepped out on a limb and exposed your hidden talent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is my big sister!!!! :)

    She is a writer...she has imagination...she has talent!!!! :)

    She also has a MacBook. :)
    And lives in Ottawa.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this, Julie! Yay, you, for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete