Thursday, April 10, 2008

rediscovered

My laptop would undoubtedly thank me profusely if I sorted through all my old files and deleted the unnecessary ones. But then, that would mean I wouldn't be able to rediscover the odd delightful grain of wheat among the chaff, such as the following. Before you read what I wrote, though, please see please see this link for the William Carlos Williams poem, "This is Just to Say." Otherwise you'll miss the fun.



this just lets you know
[re-vamp-ing Wm. Carlos Williams]

hey,
i've given up
those ignorant kisses
that were in
cold storage

which i'd been
pinching for
ever and a day for
you

forgive me
his mouth was so concrete
and so touching and
so there

(9 apr 1995)


Note: I was a fourth-year honours student in Dr. Tony Steele's American Literature class at the time, chafing at "group work." That might have accounted for my motivation to skewer Williams. Not that long after, I overheard another prof remark that fourth-year honours students are the most difficult kind of students to teach, because they think they know it all.

2 comments:

  1. Was that one of the files that was originally on Dad & Mom's long since gone Dell 320sx PC, then found it's way onto your Power Mac 6100/66av via Dad's Power Mac G3 Desktop, and then hopped over to your MacBook just before you moved out to Ottawa about a year ago?

    By the way, I have big plans for your now old and somewhat retired Power Macintosh 6100/66av...I am planning to build myself, from scratch, a MAME cabinet (an arcade cabinet) and use the 6100/66av to power/run MacMAME together with a whole lotta 1980's decade video game ROMs....(I'm talking Donkey Kong, Pac Man, Galaga, Space Invaders, Q-Bert, etc. etc. etc).

    Mom just got dad's Apple PowerBook G3 Wallstreet II, and dad got himself an Apple MacBook. Which explains the very recent "semi-retirement" of the 6100/66av.

    Apples, apples, everywhere. :)

    Thanks Steven P. Jobs!!!
    Thanks Woz! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!!! And I HATE group work, especially in a work environment where you are expected to "reenact customer/service relationships." Gag me.

    Oddly, the original poem stirred up some sort of memory that didn't quite want to come out of the dark and dusty shadows...

    ReplyDelete