Friday, April 4, 2008

everything in its place

My sister-in-law and I had a telephone conversation about spring cleaning the other day. She cleans as she goes along, so that she doesn't have to set aside a whole week or month to do it all in one shot. I think that's very admirable, and something to which I might aspire someday. Two years ago, in the apartment, I finally broke down and exterminated the dust bunnies that had multiplied underneath our bed in that hard-to-reach-place near the headboard for the better part of two-and-a-half years. However, let me reassure you I'm a lot more motivated to clean up now that I've got more space in which to store things, and now that we actually invite people over. (We lived not unlike hermits while James finished his degree.)

Much of Ottawa enjoys a four-day Easter weekend. The feds have Easter Monday off, and the universities follow suit. I guess a touch of spring fever hit me, because I decided to organize our en suite. Linens'n'Things had a "buy one, get one half price" sale on under-the-sink organizers, and I found Rubbermaid mesh drawer organizer packages for $14.99 each at Loblaws. It's freed up some welcome space on the vanity and shelving unit.



The next room to tackle is the kitchen. I've already purchased, from Stay Organized, a rack in which to store my cookie sheets and muffin tins; I hope to get there again tomorrow, to see if any one on staff has suggestions or solutions regarding those awkward corner cupboards of mine. Apparently there's also a store in Orleans that specializes in storage and organizational products. Might have to get directions. I'll combat my clutter yet!

2 comments:

  1. Cheers! You've done a great job! You'd be shocked at our MESS right now (and for the next 3 weeks approx.) while we're doing our Kitchen,Dining,& Bathroom renovations. The Ceilings in every room on the Main floor have been spray painted & all 10 Pot lights installed,the bottom cabinets are in our garage----I must have made at least a 100 trips downstairs----am constantly looking/searching for stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Julie!! All the bloggers are on the declutter bandwagon! You know what my motivation can be sometimes? I hate when we move out of an apartment and we spend two days making it spotless to get our damage deposit back and I think "It looks so clean in here! Why am I allowing the next tenants to enjoy this when I never did while I lived here???" And I always tell myself, clean it like you'd want to stay and never move.

    ReplyDelete