Sunday, April 6, 2008

snail mail and spring fever

There's something to be said for good old-fashioned snail mail, if you ask me.

Last week was rather routine, same as the week before. Nothing all that remarkable happening. University students seem to be experiencing an end-of-term anxiety and beginning-of-spring giddiness that translates into ceaseless nattering from all corners of the classrooms and lecture halls. It wouldn't be so bad if they just whispered, but the noises range from a low rumble of, presumably, the cool dudes who sit towards the back to the high-pitched gales of laughter of the blondes-from-a-bottle with fake'n'bake tans who evidently feel that it's everyone's basic human right to hear what they have to say, be it about carbocations in chemistry--during a chemical engineering lecture on mass balances--or comparing notes on high school friends they had in common during a tutorial on mass balances.

Tuesday morning halfway through Physics, a paper airplane landed near the front of the classroom. The professor opened it up, skimmed through it, and held onto it. The following Physics class, on Friday, I witnessed two students approach the professor before the lecture began. One explained that they had been fooling around the previous class, and that they hadn't meant for the paper airplane to disrupt him. She said that although her friend's name had been on the top of the paper, it was actually her fault that the paper had gone flying through the air, so she hoped he wasn't going to deduct marks from her friend's grade for something that wasn't her fault. He told them not to worry about it.

Actually, I find it quite surprising how lenient professors are these days. I surmise that it has a great deal to do with the increased emphasis on teaching evaluations with respect to tenure. Either that, or they feel it's futile to try to change the habits of these "digital natives," these "millenium students" used to multi-tasking (talking on the cell, chatting on messenger, checking e-mail, watching TV, listening to downloaded music, blogging, all simultaneously).

So amidst the added chatter I do my best to block out when I'm working, the feeling of impending despair at having to find work for the summer when the majority of postings state "bilingual essential," and this head cold I acquired (probably from all those door handles on campus), I've had a few "what am I doing here?" moments. That's why the snail mail was so welcome! Within the last week, we received an Easter card & note from a family friend, a package of goodies from my brother (the Office Space DVD is conspicuously absent; I think James ran off with it), a card (and cheque for the latest transcription) from the Mauro Centre, and sand and shells from Mexico courtesy of Duane & Celina. Thank you!!! You made my days.


I'm a little hesitant to add that it looks as though spring may be here to stay. (Hesitant, because it snowed big fluffy flakes on Wednesday, although they subsequently melted very quickly.) It's not just me that thinks so. Yesterday afternoon, one of the neighbor kids was standing on a snowbank bareback, watching his dad break up remaining ice at the end of their driveway. The dad is the guy who wore shorts to snowblow his driveway. Maybe their family developed a genetic mutation that makes them impervious to cold. Mind you, the sun was really that warm: I walked back with my light jacket over my arm, and given that I was wearing a black t-shirt, the idea of going bareback did hold a certain attraction.


5 comments:

  1. Cool! Where are the stuffed cat toys, or did the kitties tear them apart already?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooops, I forgot about including those in the shot. The stuffed kitty was perched on the back of the chair until it got demoted to the seat. I had fun clipping the magnetic-footed bunny around our cats' tails, but after they tired of it, I hung it around one leg of the hall table. If I remember, I'll take a picture of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chatting with neighbours during class? Paper airplanes? Apologies asking that no marks be deducted? And you work in a UNIVERSITY???? What the?

    Oh, Julie, you and I could have long in depth conversations about the youth of today. The group raising and educating today's young people have created such a lackadaisical society, it makes me wince. I have a friend who teaches in Steinbach (hi Perry!) who was mortified when his school informed him he was no longer allowed to deduct marks for assignments handed in late. The student could take all year to complete it, but no marks off. Pathetic.

    LOVE all the snail mail you got! That IS fun! I try to do stuff like that, but I'm a huge procrastinator on it all.

    And why am I here? Doing this? Quarterly annual conversation with myself. Ah, Life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lemme guess Julie...is Darthy-boy the one who took it upon himself to demote the new stuffed cat to a lower vertical height than himself?
    :)

    The package actually started off with just the stuffed cat and the postcard, but then I walked into Shopper's Drug Mart one day after work (on day shift) and I saw all this other stuff which I decided might be fun to include and make it a nice little "welcome to Spring package" for all of you in the house!

    All the stuff came from right here in Steinbach (hiya Siobhan from B.C.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's nothing more fun than getting snail mail! Well maybe a few things, but it's pretty near the top. Loved your organizing post (more inspiration is always welcome) and your vegetarian/organic food one. We don't eat much meat, especially since Chloe's gone meat-free, so I was happy to see your vegetarian product reviews. I need to get a little more creative with my meals, and will definitely try some of these options.

    ReplyDelete