Sunday, July 15, 2012

weekend wrap-up: cake & cats

Overall, my weekend unfolded...quietly and unassumingly.  Just going through the usual motions of cleaning, doing laundry, grocery shopping, and managing to put together some food that passes for meals.

The strawberries at Shouldice are done for the season, but the roadside stand had a few quart baskets of raspberries left on the stand when I pulled up Saturday afternoon.  After much deliberation, I decided to leave experimental baking with brown rice flour for another day.  (If anyone knows of any tips, send'em my way.)  Instead, I used this recipe to bake a vanilla cake.  I had planned to ice it with the "Vanilla Frosting" from The Compassionate Cook, but that concoction was way too sweet, and the taste of the Earth Balance margarine I'd used was just too strong.  So I opted for--wait for it--good ol' Cool Whip. 

This glass cake plate lends appeal to whatever rests on it.
The raspberries were the best raspberries ever:  smallish they may be, but they can boast a sweet zestiness. 

The last couple of weeks I've been preoccupied with scheduling my colleagues and me to work for the Fall course requests to date, so Darth and Curlicue have felt the sting of neglect.  Fortunately, they're easily pacified.  'Cause nothing says "I love you" like a vacuum and a box.

She likes it retro-'80s, i.e., feathered back.

Thinking outside the box?  Overrated.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like Darthy boy is content that Curlicue has squished herself into the cardboard box with him....did Darth make that checkmark beside the word "Guest" on the top of the box flap? :-)

    ReplyDelete