Friday, February 22, 2008

#11: twenty-minute trip

I made a quick trip to the Carlingwood Mall. For 5pm on a Friday, it wasn't very busy. Of course, I usually park in the Sears' lot instead of the central parking area. Sears didn't have what I wanted, so I bought some Hershey Hugs at PharmaPlus. I'd considered visiting the Smith Falls Hershey factory during my week off, but I talked myself out of it: do I really need to buy, and by corollary eat, lots of chocolate? I think not. Better to buy a small bag of hugs and save myself the drive out to Smith Falls.

Carlingwood Mall
Sears far left, Loblaws far right, apartments behind, OC Transpo stop & buses in front


On my way back home.
The drive between Barrhaven and Carlingwood takes me through greenbelt farmland.


The last intersection before home.
More new Minto townhomes going up on the left, Strandherd Crossing on right.


Earlier today, light fluffy flakes were falling from the gray sky yet again, which prompted the following feelings:

Ottawa is a haughty hottie teen queen who capriciously breaks up and gets back together with Winter every few days. In-between, sometimes, she flirts with Spring. She postulates it's just a fling and sees no harm in it. January and February, united in resolve, do their best to discourage Spring's interest: "Don't come around here no more, boy!" I watch the melodrama play out. I can't wait until Ottawa breaks Old Winter's heart, like she does every year, year after year, as sure as Spring will win her back. For who can resist the lure and the promise of Spring?

3 comments:

  1. I love your wee essay on Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you make a special trip just for Hershey Hugs? I do that sometimes.

    I like the last line: "For who can resist...." Not me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly, no, I went for Clinique make-up and they didn't have it in stock. What's up with that? Shouldn't they order fresh when they're down to the last 5 of something? But we stopped in at The Bay today and the saleswoman talked me into buying 2 so I could get the cool bonus, which I don't really need and usually don't use, but it's got such cute samples I went for it anyway. It will help cover all my new zits from the Hershey Hugs. And the sun was shining so spring can't be far behind, eh?

    ReplyDelete