Sunday, February 24, 2008

#13: she sells seashells by the seashore

I've never lived near the ocean, so when we visited Tofino in 2003, I'll admit I found some of the sea creatures downright creepy, in a fascinated I-can't-take-my-eyes-off-them sort of way (especially those things that snake along under the sand--shivers). Such a reaction is in stark contrast to my cousin's family, who makes a concerted effort to study all manner of aquatic life in great detail. Still, I like the look of seashells (minus the animals inside). We found this object not on any beach, but in a shop catering to tourists in Apsley, a town a short distance away from our friends' cottage, last summer. Apparently it's a Sputnik Urceus shells decorative ball. (We didn't buy it for its name, obviously.) James took a fancy to it, which surprised and delighted me: I'm thrilled when our tastes align. It rests on our mantle, a lovely reminder of places we dream we might someday explore.

7 comments:

  1. That is one ugly ball of shells. IMHO.

    More cat pics please!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious! Derrick and I were just talking about planning a weekend in Tofino!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should perhaps explain my comment...a few weeks ago I saw a documentary on the Discovery Channel. Some guy from some third world country had what looked like sea shells and tree roots growing from his arms and legs. Looked kinda similar to that round ball of shells you have there in that pic. That's why I said what you have there looks gross.

    But anyway, more cute little kitty cat pics please!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Siobhan, we went to Tofino on a weekend in the off-season, but it was definitely a good decision. Tin Wis Resort was recommended to us by my former jr. high teacher, as well as the Schooner Beach Trail. We saw the coolest hideous yellow & black slug on that trail.

    Perry, I searched for the tree man, and you're right, it's quite freaky-looking. Poor Dede is suffering from HPV which results in warts and root-like skin. Looks nothing like our shells! Good thing you qualified your remark. Darth and Curli were ready to rough you up for your impudence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would it be mean to ask for a link to Dede? I thought HPV was a woman's disease.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous....better than a link...go to: http://www.google.ca with your web browser, and then in the text search box, type in what you wish to search for...in this case perhaps type in "tree man dede" or something similar (without the quotes of course). Remember, Google is your friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although Google is not the only search tool out there, I did use it, typing in something like "tree man discovery channel"--you could just go to Discovery Channel's site and try a search for "tree man." It was part of the "My Shocking Story" series. As for HPV, yeah, interesting, isn't it? Health Canada's site has further info on it; apparently men are also affected, contrary to what the commercials would have us believe.

    ReplyDelete