Wednesday, February 13, 2008

all thumbs, none green: moment the 2nd

This is a kalanchoe. I purchased it on impulse in summer. See, I had received a kalanchoe as a parting gift from a Mauro Centre exchange student and his fiancée. It came in the gorgeous Prairie sunset-hued woven flower pot/basket that you see above, and it had delicate little flowers of purple, pink, and orange. The basket survived; the plant did not. One of Darth's favorite pastimes is to chew on anything remotely resembling vegetation--even the synthetic moss at the bottom of our artificial ficuses--except for cat grass. Consequently, my first kalanchoe met an untimely end. The specimen you see above was to be its replacement. However, I seriously overestimated my abilities, and it has been on the brink of annihilation for quite some time now. I can't help but admire its refusal to give up the ghost, though, so I've decided to try to revive it, maybe even coax it to flower again, even though this Herculean task means I have to closely monitor the hours it spends in light and darkness. Wish me luck. The only plant ever to flourish under my care was a spider plant, and that was seven years ago. It certainly doesn't stoke my pride any to see that Wikipedia alleges that spider plants are "popular with beginners" for they are "very tolerant of neglect."
(For more about kalanchoes, see here and here).

3 comments:

  1. Lon bought me one of these plants a while ago. Beautiful while it lasted but,yeah,it doesn't "live" here anymore. I like real plants but their life span is so short in my care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with that. I am a terrible green thumb too. I can't get anything green to grow under my care. Good thing Logan isn't green! I hear cacti are easy to care for? hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's day two of my resuscitation project. I have to confess I forgot all about my kalanchoe in the closet until about 3:30pm. This is not an auspicious start.

    I had a cactus once; it died. Haha, come to think of it, even the leaves on my artificial plants have been known to fall off.

    ReplyDelete