Monday, February 18, 2008

#7: a Louis Riel birthday in which the cat came back

For the first time ever, James's birthday fell on Louis Riel Day--Manitoba's newest provincial statutory holiday, which corresponds to Alberta's, Saskatchewan's, and Ontario's Family Day. I was surprised that it's taken other provinces so long to climb on board: after all, Alberta has celebrated Family Day since 1990 (probably in imitation of the U.S.'s Presidents' Day, also known as Washington's Birthday). When a new stat was first proposed in Manitoba, the Winnipeg Free Press reported that some employers feared it would be costly to implement. I say it's about time that employers start giving back; it seems to me that it's been a decade and a half since the average employee was expected to do the work of only one person instead of two or three. And I would think the rate of absenteeism, and its converse, presenteeism, would be highest in February, one of the bleakest months of the year; a stat might counteract that nicely. Actually, I didn't realize until 2001, when I compiled a list of holidays for an hr/payroll project involving many unions across the country, that provinces may observe different stats. I think we should standardize across the country, because everyone deserves the equivalent of NL's Regatta Day (more on that here and here). Essentially, if the weather's right the first Wednesday in August, you head down to the lake. Kind of like "snow day" or "storm day" in reverse, but for adults.

Thanks to family & friends who called to wish James a happy birthday; and if you didn't, no worries, 'cause he was becoming a little overwhelmed with all the extra attention. He enjoyed a mellow day at home: slept in, went to the gym, worked on his computer, enjoyed another slice of that PC Mississippi Mud Pie cheesecake, napped, retrieved Darth from the vet, picked up supper at the local Shawarma place. He claimed it was the best birthday ever, so who am I to argue.

James checking his hockey pool scores, Darth taking in the Phoenix vs. LA match
on the big screen (not visible in photo)
, remotes close at paw.

Yes, our little Darthy is home again. For those who missed it, we first noticed Darth was ill on Thursday. All of Friday he stayed put in one spot in the basement. I thought he had improved by Saturday, since he was moving around the house, albeit more slowly than usual. However, by Sunday afternoon he had thrown up at least two more times, and he was evidently dehydrated and spaced out, so I took him to Ottawa Veterinary Hospital (OVH). The vet took x-rays, which showed there was something blocking his intestine, and put him on IV to rehydrate him. I had to leave him overnight, but I saw him before I left, hooked up to tubes taped to his right front paw. The IV seemed to have an instantaneous effect, since he was curiously examining his environment and paid no attention to me. OVH called at 6:15 a.m. and again at 11:00 a.m.; each time Darth's status had improved. The vet advised to check back at 3 or 4 p.m., by which time he was deemed good to go. So we picked him up, and he seems as good as new. Fortunately, he did not require surgery (which we were told could have run $1200-$1600!!). Even so, the amount we paid to nurse him back to health could have sponsored an underprivileged child for a whole year and then some.

12 comments:

  1. We're happy to know you enjoyed your birthday,James------many more!
    A $700.oo picture of Darth!-----sooooooo glad he's feeling fine again. Mom D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy that my little buddy Darth is feeling better, thanks to you and James' kindness and compassion :) . Next time I visit, Darth (and Curlie too) can snuggle up next to me on my blanket if they want.
    Darth...quit chewing on packing tape and stuff like that. Looks like I'll have to send a couple of cat chewing toys over to Ottawa. If it even gives such. Pets Of The Ark, here I come (as soon as it warms up here in Manitoba). :)

    best regards, your brother Perry

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, if it makes you feel any better, put the monetary cost of nursing Darth back to health on my tab. When I win the lottery I'll triple the amount you paid the vet for Darth, and hand it over to you and James in cash. :)
    For the time being, consider the vet bill cost as an investment in an underprivilaged (no pet cat) brother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated birthday to James! I'm glad Darth is better. So what room is this? It doesn't look like the fireplace room, plus there are no throws...
    Looks like a great place you've got.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome home Darthy!!! Happy Birthday James!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Believe me Julie, Mom is very glad for Darth feeling good again. :)

    I'm sure both me and Dad have had a few chuckles imagining Darth getting an enima...not that we wish him any pain or suffering....but just the thought of a cat getting one....it is kinda humourous (think Sylvestor, the WB cartoon cat, getting one). :)

    I'm sorry Darthy...poor kitty.
    I love you Darthy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the additional wishes, ladies and gent! This is our home theatre/James's office room in the basement. I'll see if I can still find the link to the general layout.

    (Per, the moral of the story is never underestimate the power of a $50 enema.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. By the way, what does James do with 4 computers? Besides collect computers. It's hard enough to keep 1 running, nevermind 4! Though it looks like the beige-box on the floor might have been relegated to a dust collector.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good question! James feels that one can never have too many computers. He builds & pulls apart & rebuilds & tweaks & overclocks & whatever else it's possible to do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can never have to many puters!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey, when did James move the CRT TV (the Sony) into the basement?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sometime after you visited. I was never fond of it in our room anyway.

    ReplyDelete