Wednesday, February 27, 2008

#16: the road (not) taken

Lincoln Fields Station

Here's a shot of a section of transitway. It's not as entertaining as Sesame Street's Subway!, but it has its moments. I wanted to include a photo of an articulated bus, but I missed snapping one that slowed down, and it was cold--OK, not Manitoba-cold, but cold enough: -18˚C with the wind NW28-30--so I didn't relish the idea of sticking around on the Lincoln Fields bridge until another sped by. I don't usually board at this stop, but I needed the truck to run errands with a friend this afternoon, so we switched it up today.

The expression goes "you learn something new every day." I've learned the same lesson twice this week. Today reinforced, once again, that I should never, never take buses with which I'm not familiar, even though their labels might sound promising. I've done this I don't know how many times in my life--at least a handful. I should stick to routes I take every day or have looked up on the Web in advance. From downtown, I boarded the #86 Lincoln Fields, which you'd think would go straight to Lincoln Fields, right? Wrong. A leisurely, scenic drive down Wellington, across Parkdale, down Fisher, up Woodroffe, to Baseline, then finally, finally, destination Lincoln Fields. I figured I made up some of my lost time by: a.) purchasing my March pass at Lincoln Fields, where I was the line, rather than Rideau Centre, where the line extends way down the mall's hallway; and b.) pushing my trusty Pathfinder to its limit. How's that for a Pollyanna spin?!

Other good news: OC Transpo recently relocated some stops in our neighborhood, so now it takes me an estimated 5 minutes as opposed to 7 to walk to the closest stop. Realistically, I tried to leave myself a few extra minutes (which translates into "I ran every step of the way") to cross two-way, single-lane traffic on Woodroffe. I no longer have to risk life and limb to arrive at the express stop. Hurray!

6 comments:

  1. I looked for yesterday's blog and never saw it!! What the - ? What fun to have TWO to read!

    Love the kitty pic! Love all kitty pics.

    I totally don't remember that Sesame skit. That show is just not the same anymore.

    I'm a tiny bit creeped out by the fact that a small set of chimes we have hanging on the INSIDE of the window are gently chiming.

    The window is closed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I checked earlier and didn't see yesterday's entry either. You've got some blog posting tricks that I don't know! It's like you're magic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's all in the post options, women. I did, in fact, start Tuesday's on Tuesday, i.e., created a new post. Fixing supper, laundry, etc. got in the way of finishing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, that is a pretty awesome "cityscape" picture you took there. :)

    For those of you who have never been to Ottawa, I would encourage you to visit that city. I've been there twice now, and it is a great place to go. Even better, Julie & James live there! :)

    Now, there is nothing wrong with the praries of Manitoba (at least the rural areas and smaller non-capital cities of Manitoba), but I think Ottawa is visually clean and interesting for the most part, for a city of it's size.

    I know that I wish I lived there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. siobhan, there will be a small draft from coming from the window. Put your face or hands close to all the edges of your window, you will find you'll notice a small draft, especially on windy days.

    ReplyDelete