Saturday, February 16, 2008

#5: the things we do for love

...like posing in a front yard of snow when there's nowhere to go...



This month of photographic moments is supposed to be spontaneous and unstaged--but really, you know me better than that (or if you didn't, now you do). If that causes you any distress, console yourself with the fact that these photos were spontaneous in the sense that I said, "James, I want to take pictures of our snowbank right now" and out we went. The whole point is to convince you that, yes, we really have received a lot of snow, and by extension, to evoke sympathy for me, because I can no longer manage to toss shovelfuls of snow to the top of the heap. When the city plow cleared the street on Friday, leaving behind a ridge blocking the driveway, I tried. I called on my inner rural southern Manitoba genetic heritage with all my might, to no avail. So I decided I'd just shovel that ridge back where it came from: I dumped it bit by bit onto the street-side of the pile beside the sidewalk. I'm not certain there's not a by-law against doing that, but I figured if anyone was to challenge me, I'd inform them that I know somebody who fights city hall and wins, and I'd threaten to employ her to defend me.


6 comments:

  1. Mom just told me that you had to bring Darth in to the cat hospital and leave him there...I hope they can cure whatever is ailing him. (I know, this is off topic in regards to your post, but I don't have access to my email right now).
    Please be ok Darthy boy!
    best regards, perry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you need to hook up a tow-rope to the top of your little mountain, and charge the neighbourhood kids to ski down it. Perhaps you could raise enough cash to pay for your poor little cat's hospital stay. Poor little bunny...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor little Darthy!! Poor little sick kitties everywhere!!!

    Nice snowbank. Maybe check out my blog...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah that's quite a snowpile! The lack of sponteinity (don't think that's a word, and if it is I spelled it wrong) is totally allowed. I've been telling my kids not to look at me when I've taken their pictures lately, so that's really in the same category.

    What's the matter with Darth? Hope he's okay...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The rain last night has led to unfavorable skiing conditions in Barrhaven. It even took out my icicle, to which I was becoming quite attached. We welcome any other ideas you have to raise cash. Yikes, emergency visits are expensive. Darth may have swallowed a bit of packing tape, of which he is very fond of chewing. The vet called this morning to say he's improved. And spontaneity is a word, L, we'll just call your version a variant spelling!

    ReplyDelete