Monday, March 3, 2008

#21: class

Thought you might like to see where I work. This is Colonel By B205, the classroom for Calculus II this term. All the courses I "computer interpret" for right now are science courses. I try to get to all the classes early so that I can stake out a spot near the front. You can see my coat and laptop bag, second row, far right.

students' view

In this class, I've also chosen my seat so that I can slip out the door easily at 11:15am on Monday. The student I work for gave me permission to do that, because this class ends at 11:20, and the following one begins at 11:30--right across campus, which takes about 15 minutes to walk. (Yes, it takes even me that long. I have slowed down a bit, but only because I'm weighed down by my laptop and everything-in-an-emergency backpack I carry with me.) The last few weeks I've worked smarter, not harder: I've caught a bus from the Campus stop to the Laurier stop, thereby saving myself 5-10 min.

instructor's perspective

I've noticed that many uOttawa buildings have motion-sensor lighting installed. It's rather neat: I entered B205 and there was light! and I saw! and it was good!

I took these photos with my Mac again, but I found the "flip this photo" feature in PhotoBooth before I imported them into iPhoto, so you're seeing things in exactly the same direction as I saw them--no imaginary inverting required.

4 comments:

  1. That's really cool! And it is all way over my head!! Calculus? Computer interpret? What language are you speaking???

    Glad you found a way to work smarter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you were "academic captioning"? hahhaa.

    Don't you miss Red River College where across campus only takes, at the most, 5 minutes with all the gear?

    At U of Calgary I had to same dilemma. Some of the classes that I worked in were across campus and only 10 minute to pack up, get there, and then set up. What a pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I was for a bit, Tawny, but I heard "academic captioning" is too easily confused with real-time captioning here. Also, the occasional non-academic workshops/conferences put in requests. I'm still avoiding "computerized note-taker," because I don't take notes, per se. The people here who do what we do find that being "computer interpreters" has advantages. So when in Rome... RRC was great, indoors & ergonomic chairs & teaming with you for JZ!

    Siobhan, basically I type lectures & class discussions for hard-of-hearing students. It's not possible to capture everything word-for-word, so it becomes an interpretation. Calculus is all Greek to me--Physics uses a lot of Greek symbols, too. It goes in one ear & out my fingers to the keys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, those are some nice pics of the inside of that uOttawa classroom.

    How do you touch-type the Greek Physics symbols on your Apple MacBook Pro? I'm guessing you have the special keystrokes memorized by now?

    Or is the solution more simple?

    ReplyDelete