Thursday, March 6, 2008

#24: bad habit

Never mind that I counted at least 15 books that I've bought and not yet read--and that was only in my SF section. ~ Conspicuous and unapologetic aside: Let me be clear on this point: it's SF, not sci-fi. That was the first of many lessons we learned in Dr. John Teunissen's Science Fiction seminar. I remember how I did not want to enroll in that seminar, but there were no other options to fit my schedule. Best course I never wanted to take!

The point is, I really didn't need to purchase any more books. Except that for my on-the-bus reading, I've begun a Fantasy (the F in SF&F) series called The Twelve Houses, and I enjoyed Mystic & Rider so much, I entered Chapters to purchase The Thirteenth House. Big mistake. Not reading this series--in fact, the characters are appealingly credible, for all their special abilities--but setting foot in a bookstore, any bookstore. Over here was Paul Quarrington's King Leary (I enjoyed his Whale Music many years ago), the "Canada Reads" pick; over there James K. Bartleman's Raisin Wine (I watched this former Ontario Lieutenant-Governor interviewed by George Stroumboulopoulos). Everywhere in-between there were other distracting titles. One such gem was the following:


I picked it up, began skimming through it, and thought, "For $5, it's probably worth it."
I'll post an excerpt here as soon as my Mac once again has a working power adapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment