Monday, March 10, 2008

#28: moment of inertia

Had I had the camera with me today, I would have tried to get a photo of the black squirrel that was cheerily jaunting about. I sincerely hope it was that squirrel or one of its little squirrel colleagues that I caught a glimpse of out of the corner of my eye on Friday: a blur of fur in motion, a momentary flash of dark on light from trash bin to the ground below the lecture auditorium's windowed hallway. At the time, I suspected it was a rat; I'm much, much happier thinking it's a cute squirrel fresh out of hibernation. So since I was camera-less and didn't want to try to point and shoot a laptop, you're getting yet another lab picture. (I know, I know, snow and labs, will they never cease? Have no fear: only another month of classes, and only another three labs.)

Physics Lab

Today's lab involved pendulums and moments of inertia. I actually enjoy interpreting for Physics labs. There's more interaction throughout the 3 hours, so I feel as though I'm earning my keep. No inertia for me today. Guess it didn't hurt that the usual lab demonstrator (a cocky 23- or 25-year-old) was away today and asked a pleasant, easy-on-the-eyes TA to fill in. I'm guessing the TA is in his late 20s, maybe early 30s; his hairline has begun to recede, and I noticed a few grays dotting the crown of his head. Apart from physical appearance, though, he exuded a maturity, a quiet confidence, that demo guy lacks. Demo guy is all bravado.

Anyway, I'm thinking that if a Faculty of Science wants to appeal to more students, it ought to consider makeovers for its labs. At least consider a paint job. (This from someone who doesn't relish painting herself.) Really, how dullsville is that nondescript yellow-green? It just screams "institution." The windows have potential, but I'd like to see the trim in a color that complements the countertops. At the very least, I'd like to see inspirational quotations stencilled on the walls. Something to convince me that it could be somebody's happy place.

4 comments:

  1. But everybody loves the rat milk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya, whatever "fat tony gangster from springfield", Darth and Curlie will shred you up with their claws and teeth, as well as all the rats and rat milk you try to implement!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fail to see how this is relevant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Julie. Her post has become a chat room for gangsters!

    It is amazing how higher ups believe that classrooms should be so dull and uninspiring. I agree with you. If I am going to be spending several years paying big bucks and doing some learnin' in order to give back to society, I want to actually WANT to go there. A classroom should make the student smile. Although cute TA's certainly do help in that regard.

    ReplyDelete